The Tyneside Club 95 Station Road Sheringham
NR26 8RG
Tel 01263 822570

The Tyneside Club, Sheringham

Why the Tyneside?

The name “Tyneside” was first given to a private house with a bowling green, built around 1888.  It was owned by a local Doctor named Sumpter whose wife came from Geordie land hence the house was called Tyneside.

After the war (1953), the house became the property of the Royal British Legion who used it for their own club business.  When times got difficult (1962), ownership was passed to the members of a Social club who decided to adopt the name “The Tyneside Club”

The building was a 2-storied house with an attic and was developed into a club with quarters for a steward and wife.  The lower floor was adapted several times to meet the clubs requirement and an extension was put up on the south side with the Bowling Green becoming the car park.

The extension became the concert room and live entertainment was booked for Saturday nights.  The opening ceremony for the extension was carried out by  - in those days Norfolk’s own star – Alan Smethurst - the singing Postman who had connections with Sheringham.  After he had performed the opening he asked for his fee, which he was duly given. Later his agent asked for the fee and was not at all happy when told Alan had asked for it and been paid,

For a time Saturday entertainment went down well with Billy Fury being booked, as was Marty Wilde. Norman Vaughan, Max Wall also appeared but at some time during the early part of his act, some remark or comment was made and he walked out.  A short appearance on the cheap, as he never asked for nor received payment.

The biggest let down came when the entertainment committee had managed to book Diana Dors. The club was really buzzing waiting for her date. But alas, upon discovering that The Tyneside Club was not in fact “Up North” but in the far east of Sleepy North Norfolk she refused to attend.

This put an end to star booking but local groups still did and still do appear on Saturday nights.  Dart’s professionals have appeared at the club; including Alun Evans, Bob Anderson & Cliff Lazarenko. 

In 1988 we were able to sell the old building - we had looked at several ways to break the grip of our debts to the brewery and to update the club and set about building a new club on our old car park.  In 1989 we were able to pay off all our loans from the breweries, and to this day owe nothing to anybody.  After several years the committee decided to use one brewery only and when the deal was struck we were able reduce the price on beer, and we think we are still the cheapest club around

Whilst the club cannot hope to be like clubs “Up North” we have a membership of over 1100 – equal rights for women – membership is £8 per year - £5 for OAP’s.  A small surplus each year has secured the long-term security of the club and we have a good strong balance sheet, which a lot of clubs would envy.  The club joined the C.I.U in 1974.

The club is very fortunate to have been served by some very dedicated individuals over the years.  One of our current Trustees, Mr John.F.Wright began his service forty-five years ago as President, before becoming Treasurer and now his current post. FORTY-FIVE Years of continuous service!   A previous Trustee, Mr Victor Farrow, held the position for over thirty years and been a club member for more than fifty years.  The club owes him a great debt, as he once stood surety for the value of the old club whilst the new one was being built.  This at a time when the property prices started to plummet!

The clubs name still causes confusion and we often have salesmen cancel visits when they realise their mistake.